Marcus Garvey Park
The Daily Plant : Thursday, October 17, 2013
Walk It Out! Trail Dedicated At Marcus Garvey Park
On October 4, NYC Parks Commissioner Veronica M. White joined Denise C. Soares RN, MA Senior Vice President, Generations+/Northern Manhattan Health Network and Executive Director of the Harlem Hospital Center; Dr. Olajide Williams of Harlem Hospital Center; Walk It Out! Program Coordinators Monique Hedmann and Amparo Abel-Bey; Commanding Officer of the 25th Police Precinct Tom Harnisch; Valerie Jo Bradley of the Marcus Garvey Park Alliance; Syderia Chresfield of the Mount Morris Park Community Improvement Association; and Walk It Out! participants to dedicate a new designated walking trail with banners and a bench at Marcus Garvey Park.
“NYC Parks is pleased to partner with Harlem Hospital Center in dedicating the Walk It Out! Trail at Marcus Garvey Park,” said NYC Parks Commissioner Veronica M. White. “Through the simple act of walking, New Yorkers can lead healthier lives. Through distance markers, health tips and inspirational messages, these new banners will inspire our community to keep moving forward while staying physically active and enjoying the fresh air.”
Walk It Out! is a program run through the Harlem Hospital Center with the goal of increasing physical activity among older adults. Volunteer-led walking clubs meet at parks throughout Harlem, engaging the community in physical activity to help lead healthier lives.
At Marcus Garvey Park, NYC Parks installed eight banners and a bench along the park’s perimeter, creating a designated walking trail. The banners indicate distance markers, health tips, and inspirational messages.
Funding for the banners and bench were secured by Harlem Hospital Center through a Healthy Eating and Active Living by Design grant from the New York State Department of Health, which funds the Walk It Out! program at Harlem Hospital Center.
Walk It Out! was implemented in partnership with NYC Parks, NYC Aging, New York Road Runners, Harlem senior citizen centers, AARP, faith based organizations, and senior advocacy groups in Harlem. Walk It Out! has been walking in Marcus Garvey Park three days a week since the program began in the spring of 2010.
“Having a dream is what keeps you alive.
Overcoming the challenges make life worth living.”
Mary Tyler Moore
(1936 - )
Directions to Marcus Garvey Park
- NYC PARKS CELEBRATES RESTORATION OF HISTORIC MOUNT MORRIS FIRE WATCHTOWER IN MARCUS GARVEY PARK
- NYC PARKS PARTNERS WITH FACEBOOK’S ARTIST IN RESIDENCE PROGRAM TO CREATE COLORFUL COMMUNITY MURALS ON TWO MANHATTAN BASKETBALL COURTS
- Walk It Out! Trail Dedicated At Marcus Garvey Park
- Movies Under The Stars: Judas and the Black Messiah & Soul Train
- The Last Poets with Jamaaladeen Tacuma's Band of Resistance / Impact Repertory Theatre / The Harlem Bomb Shelter / DJ Greg Caz
- OMAR Edwards | Tap Master / LaTasha Barnes: Excerpts from the Jazz Conintuum
- "MAROONS & SUFFRAGETTES: A GREG TATE TRIBUTE CONCERT CELEBRATING THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF BURNT SUGAR/DANZ A Tate Family program featuring Burnt Sugar/Danz, Burnt Sugar The Arkestra Chamber, Harriet Tubman, Resistance Revival Chorus, Bardo Steppers, and DJ
- Red Alert & friends featuring Case and Will Traxx