Marble Hill holds the singular geographic distinction of having been a part of Manhattan, an island unto its own, and a part of the mainland. The neighborhood lies on a rock precipice in the Bronx that is bounded by West 230th Street, Exterior Street, Johnson Avenue, and the Harlem River. Originally, Marble Hill physically belonged to the Manhattan Island, separated from the Bronx by Spuyten Duyvil Creek. Two bridges, Kings Bridge (1693) and Farmers’ Free Bridge (1759), connected the neighborhood to the Bronx mainland. During the Revolutionary War, Patriots built a dozen forts in the neighborhood to defend the bridges. Contrary to plan, the bridges served as the escape route for General George Washington’s troops following his defeat in the Battle of Harlem Heights.