College Point War Memorial
Click image for larger view
- Location: Between 127th and 128th Streets and 18th Avenue
- Description: Stele with plaque
- Materials: Concrete, bronze
- Dimensions: Stele H: 76" W: 31" D: 20"; Plaque H: 22.5" W: 30"
- Dedicated: 1930
- Donor: American Legion
- Inscription: IN MEMORIAM / TO THE MEN OF COLLEGE POINT / WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE / DURING THE WORLD WAR / APRIL 6, 1917 - NOVEMBER 11, 1918 / OSCAR AMMANN --- ALBERT W. FREY / AUGUST BIEGLER --- CHRISTIAN GEIDEL / AUGUST BREISACHER --- CHARLES O. MAHLER / BENJAMIN BLUE --- THOMAS MC CORMACK / RUDOLPH BRUGGER --- WILLIAM J. MOHRMANN / WILLIAM BUERGER --- LOUIS SCHMIDT / JOHN H. EMBREE --- EMIL SCHWAB / JOHN B. ENDRES --- EDWARD STACK / THOMAS FAGAN --- ALFRED STENGEL / ERECTED BY / OSCAR AMMAN POST NO. 853 / AMERICAN LEGION / 1930 /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143