Back to Monuments List
Madison Square Fountain
Click image for larger view
- Location: Center axis at 24th Street
- Description: Display fountain
- Materials: North Jay granite
- Dimensions: H: 1'6" Diameter: 32'
- Dedicated: June 28, 1867
- Inscription: THIS FOUNTAIN ORIGINALLY STOOD ON SITE OF OLD POST OFFICE. BEGUN
IN 1842, COMPLETED JAN. 7, 1843. EMBELLISHED 1847. iT WAS
REMOVED TO MADISON SQUARE PARK AND REDEDICATED JUNE 28, 1867.
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143