Lyons Square Park
Aldus St to Bruckner Blvd bet. Bryant Av and Longfellow Av
Directions via Google Maps
Lyons Square, bounded by Bruckner Boulevard, Aldus Street, Longfellow Avenue, and Bryant Avenue, was named for landowner and Civil War veteran James L. Lyons by the Board of Aldermen on April 17, 1928. Shielded by a raised perimeter of trees from surrounding streets and the Bruckner Expressway, this playground provides a play space for residents and students of Public School 75 which faces the park across Bryant Avenue.
Lyons was a charter member of the Bronx Oldtimers Association which was founded in 1911 by the Bronx’s first Borough President, Louis Haffen, for people who had lived in the Bronx for fifty years or more. James L. Lyons should not be confused with the prominent 20th-century Bronxite, James J. Lyons, who served for twenty-eight years as Borough President from 1934 to 1961.
Directions to Lyons Square Park
- Luther Gulick, Lyons Square, Saw Mill, Melrose Commons and Ten Eyck Playgrounds Comfort Station Construction