Click image for larger view
- Location: 66th Street and 4th Avenue
- Sculptor: August Werner
- Description: Relief tablet on stele
- Materials: Bronze, granite
- Dimensions: Tablet (top) H: 29" W: 22", Tablet (bottom) H: 8" W: 22"; Stele H: 10'4" W: 2'
- Dedicated: 1939
- Inscription: Main plaque:
LEIV EIRIKSSON / DISCOVERED AMERICA YEAR 1000 /
THIS IS A REPLICA OF A RUNE STONE FOUND / IN TUNE, NORWAY --- RUNE STONES / WERE ERECTED IN HONOR OF VIKING HEROES / DEDICATED JULY 6TH, 1939 BY / H.R.H. CROWN PRINCE OLAV OF NORWAY /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143