Judge Moses Weinstein Playground
Union Turnpike, Vleigh Pl., 141 St.
Directions via Google Maps
This large triangle was acquired by NYC Parks in 1948 in response to local need for open space and recreational facilities. Residential construction increased following the Second World War, ushered in by the growth and expansion of roadways new and old, resulting in many homes but few parks and schools. When the park was first opened in 1951, it included a sand pit, a comfort station, benches, water fountains, playground equipment, and plantings.
Judge Moses Weinstein Playground takes its name from a respected legislator, jurist, and civic leader who resided in Kew Gardens Hills for nearly a half century. Weinstein was born on the Lower East Side in 1912 and received his education at Brooklyn College and Brooklyn Law School. During the Second World War, he fought in the Battle of the Bulge, a last-ditch effort by the Nazi forces to delay an allied invasion of Germany.