What was here before?
This area of Flushing, Queens was once inhabited by the Matinecock, a tribe of the Lenape. They were displaced in the 1600s with the arrival of the Dutch. In 1645, the town of Vlissingen was established by the Dutch West India Company. When the English took control of what would become New York, the name of the town was anglicized to Flushing.
How did this site become a playground?
In 1949, the City of New York acquired land for this playground and the Flushing Houses. The New York City Housing Authority transferred the playground property to NYC Parks in 1952. The playground opened to the public soon after.
The playground features multigenerational play areas equipped with a spray shower and basketball and handball courts.
Who is this playground named for?