Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways

Broad Channel American Park

This text is part of Parks’ Historical Signs Project and can be found posted within the park.

What was here before?

Prior to European settlement, the Jameco and Canarsie Native Americans frequented this area. During the 1600s, Dutch settlers established a community on the island and began harvesting oysters, clams, shrimp, and fish. Broad Channel remained a part of the Town of Jamaica until the consolidation of New York City in 1898.

How did this site become a park?

Originally, the Yeshiva of Flatbush operated the Broad Channel Day Camp on this property. In August 1994, the Department of Real Property assigned 17.337 acres to NYC Parks. In 1995, the City Parks Foundation constructed the park’s ball fields with help from Broad Channel Athletic Club and the park opened in May of that year.

Who is this park named for?

Broad Channel American Park gets its name from the neighborhood, which is the only inhabited island in Jamaica Bay. The Broad Channel neighborhood stands on Big Egg Marsh, an island approximately 20 blocks long and four blocks wide.

Directions to Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways

Was this information helpful?