Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways
Rockaway Beach Piping Plover Fence Removal
Saturday, December 7, 2019
9:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
It's the end of the nesting season for the Piping Plovers! Since 1996, NYC Parks has been managing the nesting grounds of federally endangered Piping Plovers on the Rockaway Peninsula. The peninsula has proven to be an important habitat for several threatened and endangered species of plants and wildlife and it is important, now more than ever, to continue to protect and preserve their habitat.
Join the NYC Parks Stewardship Team as we care for the habitat and nesting grounds of these endangered shorebirds and plants. Volunteers will be removing the fencing that protects the nesting area so that it is not damaged over the winter.
Come dressed in sturdy boots or shoes, warm layers, and clothing that can get dirty. Please bring your own water bottle.
Please note: Space is limited and registration is required for this event. Volunteers under 18 must be accompanied by a chaperone.
Directions to Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways
- NYC PARKS CUTS RIBBON ON $14 MILLION SUNSET COVE SALT MARSH RESTORATION
- SPRING BREAK: NYC PARKS’ URBAN PARK RANGERS OFFER SCHOOL RECESS FUN FOR KIDS ACROSS THE CITY
- Major Habitat Restoration And Trail Development Project Gets Underway This Fall In Marine Park
- Outdoor Skills: Navigation and Orienteering
- Astronomy: The Full Snow Moon
- Basic Photography and Beach Exploration
- Winter Wildlife: Animal Tracks
- Kids Week: Find My Way: Maps and Compasses
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Bocce Courts
- Cricket Fields
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Football Fields
- Golf Courses
- Handball Courts
- Hiking Trails
- Kayak/Canoe Launch Sites
- Model Aircraft Fields
- Nature Centers
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Roller Hockey
- Skate Parks
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots