Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways
>Rockaway Beach Piping Plover Fencing
Saturday, December 16, 2017
9:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
It’s the end of the nesting season for the Piping Plovers!
Since 1996, NYC Parks has been managing the nesting grounds of federally endangered Piping Plovers on Rockaway Beach. Rockaway Beach has proven to be an important habitat for several threatened and endangered species of plants and wildlife, and It’s important now more than ever, to continue to protect and preserve their habitat.
Join the NYC Parks Stewardship Team and the Wildlife Unit as we care for the habitat and nesting grounds of these endangered shorebirds and plants. Volunteers will be removing the fencing that protects the nesting area so that it is not damaged over the winter.
Come dressed in boots, warm layers, and clothing that can get dirty.
Please note: Space is limited and registration is required. Recommended for ages 16 and up.
Directions to Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways
- SPRING BREAK: NYC PARKS’ URBAN PARK RANGERS OFFER SCHOOL RECESS FUN FOR KIDS ACROSS THE CITY
- Major Habitat Restoration And Trail Development Project Gets Underway This Fall In Marine Park
- De Blasio Administration Launches Community Parks Initiative To Build More Inclusive And Equitable Park System
- CityParks Seniors Fitness Yoga
- NYRR Open Run: Canarsie Park
- Fall Citywide Stewardship Day at Marine Park
- Nature's Workshop: Fermentation
- NYRR Open Run: Marine Park
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Bocce Courts
- Cricket Fields
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Football Fields
- Golf Courses
- Handball Courts
- Hiking Trails
- Kayak/Canoe Launch Sites
- Model Aircraft Fields
- Nature Centers
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Roller Hockey
- Skate Parks
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots