J. Hood Wright Park
W. 173 St. bet. Haven Ave. and Ft. Washington Ave.
Directions via Google Maps
Located between 173rd and 176th Streets, from Fort Washington Avenue to Haven Avenue, J. Hood Wright Park is named for the former owner of the site. Wright (1836-1894), a wealthy banker and financier from Philadelphia, lived in a mansion at 175th Street and Haven Avenue. He made large anonymous contributions to what is now the Washington Heights Branch of the New York Public Library. A plaque at the branch entrance honors Wright for his role in changing the status of the library from a subscription library to a free library in 1883. He also was instrumental in the founding of a hospital in New York’s Manhattanville neighborhood.
Join us as we celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with music, dance, performances, art and more! At 1:30pm, take a...