There's old New York, and then there's old New York. Inwood Hill Park is a living piece of old New York. Evidence of its prehistoric roots exists as dramatic caves, valleys, and ridges left as the result of shifting glaciers. Evidence of its uninhabited state afterward remains as its forest and salt marsh (the last natural one in Manhattan), and evidence of its use by Native Americans in the 17th century continues to be discovered. Much has occurred on the land that now composes Inwood Hill Park since the arrival of European colonists in the 17th and 18th centuries, but luckily, most of the park was largely untouched by the wars and development that took place.
The park continues to honor and cultivate its environment. A hiking trail and the Hudson River Bike Trail offer visitors chances to appreciate large stretches of the park's natural beauty in an environmentally friendly manner. Also, the park is one of the best places to spot a bald eagle in the City, after the Urban Park Rangers launched a bald eagle release project in the park in 2002. The park also manages to present modern conveniences like athletic fields, playgrounds, dog runs, and a barbecue area, in harmony with its natural assets.
Discover the history of Inwood Hill Park
Open Run is a community-based, volunteer-led running initiative bringing free weekly runs and walks to local...
Take a look at the newly developed salt marsh lying on river banks of Inwood Hill Park.
Directions to Inwood Hill Park
Know Before You Go
Inwood Hill Nature Center
Due to the effects of Hurricane Sandy, this facility is closed until further notice.
- A Lenape Meal At Inwood Hill Park
- Urban Park Rangers Present An Experience To Travel Back In Time And Live Off The Land
- Born To Be Wildlife: New Yorkers Learn About Their Furry And Feathered Friends At Urban Wildlife Appreciation Day
- Citywide Reconstruction & Stabilization of Retaining Walls and Seawalls (CNYG-514M)
- Dyckman Fields Green Gym Reconstruction
- Inwood Hill Nature Center Post-Sandy Reconstruction
- Inwood Hill Park Little Leage Baseball Field Reconstruction
- Inwood Hill Park Little League Baseball Field Lighting Installation
- Emerson Playground
- Fort Cockhill
- Glaciers In New York City - Inwood Hill Park
- Indian Road Playground
- Inwood Hill Park
Inwood Hill Park Weather