Hoe Garden honors Colonel Richard Morris Hoe (1812-1886), a member of the prominent Morris family, which owned large portions of the Bronx and Westchester Counties during the 17th and 18th centuries. Hoe’s opulent residence, Brightside, part of the vast Morris estate, remains standing on today’s Southern Boulevard. The mansion came into possession of Bronx officials when the Hoe family sold off the colonel’s holdings in 1897. An edifice of Gothic Revival style, it served for many years as Temple Beth Elohim. Today, it is the African Methodist Episcopal Church, Bright Temple.