Highbridge Park, located on West 170th Street, University Avenue, and the High Bridge derives its name from New York City’s oldest standing bridge. The High Bridge (1848) was built to carry the Old Croton Aqueduct over the Harlem River.
The High Bridge was once part of the first reliable and uninterrupted water supply system in New York City. As the city was devastated by fire and disease in the 1830s, the inadequacy of the water system of wells and cisterns became apparent. Numerous corrective measures were discussed. In the final analysis only the Croton River, located in northern Westchester County, was found to be sufficient in quantity and quality to serve the needs of the city. The delivery system was begun in 1837, and was completed in 1848.
Featured Capital Project
After closing for more than 40 years, the High Bridge, NYC's oldest standing bridge, re-opened to the public on June 9, 2015. Take a look.
Directions to Highbridge Park
- NYC PARKS LAUNCHES SMART BENCH PILOT PROGRAM
- High Bridge Festival
- NYC Parks Partners With NYC Department Of Design And Construction To Re-open The High Bridge To The Public
Highbridge Park Weather