Herman Dolgon Playground
Ave. V between Nostrand Ave. and Batchelder St.
Directions via Google Maps
This playground, located on Avenue V between Batchelder Street and Nostrand Avenue, is named for local resident and World War II veteran Herman Dolgon (1917-1949). Dolgon, who was attached to the 569th Signal Company, fought in both France and Germany before contracting a serious disease that destroyed his intestinal tract. Following his stay at the Tilton General Hospital (a temporary facility located as an adjunct of Fort Dix, New Jersey), he was discharged on October 19, 1945, and returned home to Sheepshead Bay. Aghast at the shortage of suitable housing in the area for veterans, Dolgon became an activist, forming a council of local veterans’ posts to campaign for a veterans housing project in the Sheepshead Bay area. As chairman of the council, he was instrumental in obtaining wide support for this proposal. His tireless work on behalf of homeless veterans was credited with convincing the New York City Housing Authority to erect the Nostrand …