In 1956, the City purchased this site for the adjacent school, P.S. 134. On October 14, 1958, the City opened the playground for school children, and in 1978, it became accessible to the public. Henry M. Jackson Playground’s clever name was coined by Commissioner Stern in 1997. It combines the street names that surround it: Henry Street, Madison Street, and Jackson Street, all of which were named for important political leaders. The playground’s name also specifically honors Henry M. “Scoop” Jackson (1912-1983) who served as a U.S. Senator from Washington (1953-1983) and in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1941 to 1953.