What was here before?
This playground is in the section of Queens known as Whitestone—its name derived from a large limestone boulder found in 1645 by the Dutch, who bought the land from the Matinecock.
How did this site become a playground?
The village of Whitestone acquired this land in 1892 as part of its water supply system. NYC Parks took possession of the site in 1936 in conjunction with the construction of the Whitestone Parkway and in 1939 opened it as a children’s playground. The parkland was landscaped with various trees and a path system and in 1953 the comfort station was added.
In 1995, a park renovation at the south side included modernized play equipment, the conversion of a wading pool to a spray feature, and refurbishment of the basketball court. A roller hockey rink and bleachers, tables, landscaping, lighting were added and were rebuilt in 2018.