This triangle is named in honor of Reverend Patrick Joseph Kenny (1908-1986), who founded St. Bernard’s, a local church in Bergen Beach. Father Kenny worked tirelessly for his parishioners and was always available in times of need.
Born in Woodside, Queens and baptized at St. Sebastian’s Church, Kenny attended Cathedral College in Brooklyn and the Institute of Philosophy in Huntington, Long Island. He was ordained a Roman Catholic Priest on May 21, 1932 at St. Mary’s Seminary and was first assigned to the St. Gerard Majella parish in Hollis, Queens. In 1961 he received orders to oversee the establishment of a new parish to be named St. Bernard’s Roman Catholic Church in Bergen Beach, Brooklyn.