American Redout Marker
Click image for larger view
- Location: Promontory north of George Washington Bridge, southwest of railroad trestle near 180th Street (cross at 181st Street Pedestrian Bridge and proceed south on greenway)
- Architect: Reginald Pelham Bolton
- Description: Large boulder resting on several medium-sized boulders, supported by about a dozen small boulders
- Materials: Boulders and concrete
- Cast: 1910
- Dedicated: November 16, 1910
- Donor: Fort Washington Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution
- Inscription: 1) large boulder, front: "AMERICAN / REDOUT [sic] / 1776"
2) medium-sized boulder, front: "[WASHI]NGTON / [CHA]PTER / D A R / 1910"
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143