Fort Tryon Park
FORGET THE VACATION- TAKE A STAYCATION: NYC PARKS UNVEILS SUMMER STAYCATION GUIDEFORGET THE VACATION- TAKE A STAYCATION: NYC PARKS UNVEILS SUMMER STAYCATION GUIDE
Wednesday, August 7, 2019
Miss your chance to take a vacation, or just looking for the perfect way to make the most of the end of summer? NYC Parks has you covered with the newly unveiled Summer Staycation Guide!
Using this new guide, take advantage of the city’s far-flung beaches, parks, attractions, and activities. Venture alone, take a buddy, or bring the whole family- there’s something exciting for everyone!
Fort Tryon Park, Manhattan
Become more present and find your center while in awe of nature.
- Embark on a nature excursion to the Heather Garden or the Cloisters Lawn Overlook.
- Bask in the history of the Cloysters at The Met Cloisters, Linden Terrace, and the stone arches leading to the Billings Estate.
- Must-see event: 35th Annual Medieval Festival.
Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Queens
Enjoy all there is to see and do at this local park with worldwide celebrity status and adventures for the whole family on and offshore.
- Mix it up with the kids and rent a bike or boat, or take a visit to the Fantasy Forest Amusement Park.
- Visit one of the Park’s cultural institutions like the Queens Zoo, the New York Hall of Science, or the Queens Botanical Garden.
- Take in some contemporary visual art by visiting the Queens Museum.
Manhattan Beach, Brooklyn
Skip the late-summer crowd for this tranquil beach with neighborhood charm and barbecue vibes.
- Spend the day at the beach, play some tennis or volleyball, or simply sit back, relax, and have a barbecue in one of the designated areas.
- After the beach, visit the nearby Sheepshead Bay Piers and Brighton Beach.
Staten Island's South Shore
Spend the day at Staten Island's idyllic wild side where nature and history meet! The shores and the perfect summer sunset await you at NYC's "south pole.”
- Enjoy a day in nature at Blue Heron Park, or spend the day at the beach at Wolf’s Pond Beach.
- Learn about Staten Island’s rich history at the Seguine Mansion or at the Conference House Museum.
Pelham Bay Park
Explore NYC's largest park with miles of shoreline, trails, and more.
- This is an adventurer’s paradise! Follow the nature trail through the nature sanctuary at Hunter Island, look for shorebirds at the Twin Islands, or tour the Bartow-Pell Mansion.
- For a more leisurely escape, visit Orchard Beach, or play golf and mini-golf at Pelham Bay Park.
To view the guide, visit: https://www.nycgovparks.org/highlights/summer-staycation-guide
Directions to Fort Tryon Park
- NYC PARKS BREAKS GROUND ON $4.2 MILLION RECONSTRUCTION OF ANNE LOFTUS PLAYGROUND IN FORT TRYON PARK
- NYC PARKS’ ART IN THE PARKS PROGRAM PRESENTS NEW ARTWORKS ON VIEW CITYWIDE THIS SUMMER
- NYC PARKS UNVEILS ARTWORK BY 2020 CLARE WEISS EMERGING ARTIST AWARD WINNER IN FORT TRYON PARK