Fort Tryon Park
View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
Located in historic Fort Tryon Park in a wooded thicket east of Cabrini Drive, this sculpture is decidedly contemporary in both form and materials. Made of industrial supplies, Columnade was fabricated by Kenvil Newcrete Products and installed in the park in January and February of 1973.
The abstract artwork by Eduardo Ramirez consists of two rows of 17-foot high, linear, cast-concrete columns that link in a continuous serpentine form. The sculpture commission was initiated in 1972 through Mayor John V. Lindsay’s (1921-2000) Neighborhood Action Program in cooperation with the Washington Heights-Marble Hill community organization. A competition sponsored by the Public Arts Council and the Municipal Art Society, and an Environmental Art Program of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs award Ramirez the commission and a $5,000 prize for his artistic services.
- Location: Across from restaurant building, north of parking lot
- Sculptor: Eduardo Ramirez Villamizar
- Description: Two upright, continuous lengths of cast material in a U-attached- to- inverted-U pattern, aligned side by side
- Materials: Precast, reinforced concrete
- Dimensions: H: 17' W: 19' D: 3' 6"
- Cast: 1973
- Dedicated: February 1, 1973
- Fabricator: Kenvil Newcrete Products
- Donor: The 1971-72 Mayor's Neighborhood Action Program
Directions to Fort Tryon Park
- NYC PARKS BREAKS GROUND ON $4.2 MILLION RECONSTRUCTION OF ANNE LOFTUS PLAYGROUND IN FORT TRYON PARK
- NYC PARKS’ ART IN THE PARKS PROGRAM PRESENTS NEW ARTWORKS ON VIEW CITYWIDE THIS SUMMER
- NYC PARKS UNVEILS ARTWORK BY 2020 CLARE WEISS EMERGING ARTIST AWARD WINNER IN FORT TRYON PARK