Fort Stirling Park
Clark St. at Columbia Heights and the Brooklyn-Queens Exwy.
Directions via Google Maps
In March 1776, American Revolutionary forces built Fort Stirling on this site to protect both civilian and military ships passing through the East River. Originally named “Fort Half-Moon” due to its crescent shape, control of the fort didn’t stay under control of the American force for long. Following the fall of Fort Stirling in the Battle of Long Island (also known as the Battle of Brooklyn), American forces were ousted from Brooklyn in August 1776. The fort remained under British control until 1783 when, according to tradition, residents of Kings County demolished what remained of the fort after the British evacuated.