Fort Independence Park
Click image for larger view
- Location: Sedgwick Avenue at Giles Place
- Description: Tablets on gateposts
- Materials: Bronze, Somesound granite
- Dimensions: H: 6'8" W: 2'6" D: 2'6"
- Dedicated: May 6, 1916
- Foundry: Paul E. Cabaret Co.
- Donor: Daughters of American Revolution
- Inscription: Plaque:
FORT / INDEPENDENCE PARK / "KING'S BRIDGE AND THE / HEIGHTS ADJACENT, OF THE / UTMOST IMPORTANCE TO THE / COMMUNICATION BETWEEN / NEW YORK AND THE MAIN / LAND, & TO THE SECURITY OF / THE HUDSON , WERE RECON- / NOITERED BY WASHINGTON / ON HORSE BACK ABOUT JUNE / 16, 1776. BY DIRECTION OF / THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF, / BREAST WORKS WERE THROWN / UP FOR DEFENCE OF THE / BRIDGE, AND AN ADVANCED / WORK (SUBSEQUENTLY CALL- / ED FORT INDEPENDENCE) / WAS BUILT BEYOND IT, ON / THE HILL NEAR THIS SPOT / COMMANDING SPYT DEN DEIVEL CREEK." /
FORT / INDEPENDENCE PARK / IN MEMORY OF THE / OFFICERS AND SOLDIERS / OF THE CONTINENTAL / ARMY WHO HERE SERVED / THE CAUSE OF LIBERTY / AND INDEPENDENCE AND AS / AN INSPIRATION TO THE / YOUTH OF OUR NATION. / THE CITY OF NEW YORK / HAS DEDICATED THIS PARK / AND THE GENERAL SOCIETY DAUGHTERS / OF THE REVOLUTION HAS / ERECTED THESE TABLETS. / MAY 7, 1916 /
THIS PARK, DEDICATED TO THE PUBLIC / SERVICE, / MAY 7, 1916 / WAS INCLUDED IN THE EXTERIOR WORKS / OF FORT INDEPENDENCE - CONSTRUCTED / IN 1776 AT THE DIRECTION OF / GENERAL GEORGE WASHINGTON / EVACUATED BY THE AMERICAN GARRISON / OCTOBER 27, 1776 AND FINALLY / ABANDONED BY THE BRITISH GARRISON / AUGUST, 1779. /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143