Fort Hamilton Athletic Field
83 St. to 85 St. bet. Colonial Rd. and Narrows Ave.
Directions via Google Maps
During the 19th century, this land was the site of the Crescent Athletic Club; but even after being relayed from one owner to another, over the course of more than a century, it continues on its original track as a major site for sporting events in Bay Ridge.
The field, like the school it serves, takes its name from nearby Fort Hamilton, one of the oldest continuously garrisoned federal military posts in the United States. The fort honors Alexander Hamilton (1755-1804), the distinguished colonial statesman and first Secretary of the Treasury. Fort Hamilton was built at the Brooklyn shore of the narrows between 1825 and 1831. During the Civil War (1861-1865), it served as a training ground for volunteer New York State regiments.