The Daily Plant : Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Reading Is Fundamental At Forest Park
Festivities kicked off for the 7th annual Read-a-thon at the Lawrence Linekin Children’s Playground in Forest Park on June 7. Children of all ages enjoyed games, music, a stiltwalker, storytelling, arts and crafts and received a free book.
The annual Read-a-thon event began in 2000 as a way to promote literacy and education to the community in a fun and exciting way. By engaging children through shows, storytelling and hands on projects, children gain a positive experience of reading and other learning processes.
Continuing to be a great success, the 7th annual Read-a-thon had a myriad of activities with over 1,000 people in attendance. Children were able to participate in making bookworm bookmarks, activities with the Museum of Natural History mobile museum and the Urban Park Rangers. Children were also encouraged to use their athletic skills by playing basketball, jump rope and hockey.
The festivities culminated with storytelling and a visit from the NY Islanders mascot Sparky and Officer McGruff from the NYPD. All of the children also received a free, age-appropriate book so they were able to take the Read-a-thon experience home.
Written by Jonathan Matt
GROW AT PARKS
Did you know that Job Opportunities for Parks employees can be accessed by phone? Dial 1-888-292-5653 to hear current vacancies, application deadlines and how to apply. The Job Hotline is updated weekly. Parks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
More opportunities to Grow at Parks are now posted on the intranet, internet and job hotline.
- Parks Opportunity Program (POP) Employment Services Analyst (Principal Admin. Assoc.)/Arsenal West – 11735
- Inspector (City Park Worker)/Arsenal – 11736
- Budget and Personnel Supervisor (Principal Admin. Assoc.)/Arsenal North – 11737
- Fitness Programming Coordinator (Recreation Supervisor)/Arsenal North – 11738
- Recreation Assistant/Bronx – EL155
- Clerical Associate/To Be Determined – EL156
...and take another look at the following postings:
- Program Associate (Computer Aide)/Manhattan – 11635A
- Program Associate (Community Assoc.)/Manhattan – 11635B
- Web Application Programmer (Computer Operations Manager)/Arsenal – 11662
Remember to send cover letter and resume with the Vacancy Number to firstname.lastname@example.org
To see what these jobs entail and for other opportunities to Grow at Parks, please visit the Parks Intranet. You can access the postings two ways: 1) from the top of the screen go to Divisions to Personnel to Job Postings or 2) scroll down on the left side to quick links to the red icon.
QUOTE FOR THE DAY
"We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities."
(1913 – 1973)
Directions to Forest Park
Forest Park Weather
- NEW, ENGAGING PLAY EQUIPMENT COMING TO DEVOY PLAYGROUND IN QUEENS’ FOREST PARK
- NYC PARKS CUTS THE RIBBON ON IMPROVEMENTS TO MARY WHALEN PLAYGROUND
- NYC Parks Breaks Ground On Renovations To Forest Park’s Mary Whalen Playground
- 2016 Wheelchair Sports Federation Softball Clinics
- Adaptive Flag Football
- Omar's Summer Send-Off Party at Forest Park Carousel
- Shape Up NYC: Intensati
- The Amazing Captain Faust show at Forest Park Carousel
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Bocce Courts
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Football Fields
- Golf Courses
- Handball Courts
- Hiking Trails
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Model Aircraft Fields
- Nature Centers
- Running Tracks
- Skate Parks
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots