This park draws its name from the streets that bound it: Forest Avenue and Elizabeth Grove Road. It is situated near the bridge that connects Staten Island with Elizabeth, New Jersey.
In October 1664, the native Unami of Staten Island sold a 500,000-acre tract of land encompassing this property to a group of English colonists. English King Charles II (1630-1685) granted the Duke of York the North American territories, and he in turn appointed Governor Colonel Richard Nicholls (1624-1672) to oversee his land. Nicholls granted these colonists permission for their purchase, but problems soon arose.