Flushing Meadows Corona Park
View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
- Location: Queens Zoo
- Sculptor: Marcus Charles Illions
- Description: Carousel
- Materials: Wood
- Cast: 1903
- Donor: Triboro Bridge and Tunnel Authority
- Inscription: THIS CAROUSEL WAS MANUFACTURED FOR THE FELTMAN PAVILLION IN CONEY ISLAND AT THE TURN OF THE CENTURY. ORIGINALLY LIT BY 1400 GAS LAMPS, IT WAS A POPULAR ATTRACTION WITH DIAMOND JIM BRADY, LILLIAN RUSSELL AND THE WHITE TIE AND TAILS SOCIETY OF THE DAY.
THE CAROUSEL ORGAN IS ONE OF THE LARGEST EVER BUILT. CONSTRUCTED IN GERMANY, IT CONTAINS 453 REEDS, A FULL BRASS AND WOODWIND CHOIR, AND A TOY COUNTER. PERFORATED PAPER ROLLS CONTROL THE MUSIC, AS IN A PLAYER PIANO.
THE CAROUSEL WAS RESCUED FROM STORAGE AND REFUBISHED, AND BECAME POPULAR ATTRACTION AT THE 1964-65 WORLD'S FAIR. THE CAROUSEL WAS PURCHASED BY TRIBORO BRIDGE AND TUNNEL AUTHORITY FOR THE FLUSHING MEADOWS ZOO.
Directions to Flushing Meadows Corona Park
Know Before You Go
There are currently 2 service interruptions affecting access within this park.
Lawrence Playground is temporarily closed due to construction. To follow this project as it progresses, visit our Capital Projects Tracker.
Anticipated Completion: Summer 2019
World's Fair Marina
Due to a major planned reconstruction project, Pier 1 at the World's Fair Marina is currently closed. Limited transient dockage is available for smaller recreational vessels - please contact the Dockmasters office at 718-478-0480 or VHF Ch71 for more information. There is no dockage available for larger vessels or commercial vessels, including passenger pick-up and drop-off. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please check back with the World's Fair Marina in the future for updates.
Anticipated Completion: Spring 2021
- NYC PARKS JOINS UNIQLO FOR NEW PUBLIC ART CELEBRATION
- ARTBUILT STUDIO IN THE PARK RECEIVES PRESTIGIOUS NEA OURTOWN GRANT AND EXPANDS TO PARKS IN ALL FIVE BOROUGHS
- NYC PARKS’ CITYWIDE MONUMENTS CONSERVATION PROGRAM KICKS OFF ITS 21st YEAR
- Summer Sports Experience: Instructional Lacrosse
- Plaza Theatrical Presents The Wizard of Oz
- Summer Sports Experience: Fundamentals of Softball
- Summer Sports Experience: Basketball Clinic (Beginners / Advanced)
- CANCELLED: Summer Sports Experience: Instructional Lacrosse
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Football Fields
- Golf Courses
- Handball Courts
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Indoor Pools
- Kayak/Canoe Launch Sites
- Media Labs
- Model Aircraft Fields
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Skate Parks
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums