Flushing Meadows Corona Park
Flushing Bay Promenade
Once home to Matinecock Native Americans, Flushing Bay has long been an important waterfront in New York City. The Matinecocks, and the European settlers who eventually supplanted them, harvested salt hay, fish, crabs, clams, oysters, and waterfowl from the bay and surrounding wetlands.
During the American Revolution, the Lent Farmhouse stood on the site now occupied by the World's Fair Marina, and British forces occupying Newtown and Flushing used it as the headquarters for the 37th British Regiment. The area's natural beauty made it a popular waterfront resort immediately following the Civil War, and many wealthy New Yorkers built elegant houses here. The infamous concert-saloon-keeper and impresario Harry Hill erected his Flushing Bay Hotel and Pavilion on the World's Fair Marina site, and his steamboat would ply the route between Flushing and his Houston Street Hotel in Manhattan.
By the 1920s, the 1,200-acre Flushing Meadows had been turned into a gigantic ash dump. F. Scott Fitzgerald described the scene in his 1925 novel The Great Gatsby: a "valley of ashes . . . bounded on one side by a small foul river . . . a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens." As coal use had increased during the 19th century, the existing wetlands, as well as the creek that flowed from Flushing Bay, were filled to facilitate the site's use as a dump. But Tammany Hall stalwart Fishhooks McCarthy was given sole use of the grounds, and at one point, his Brooklyn Ash Removal Company was unloading 110 railroad carloads of garbage a day to be burned.
Commissioner Robert Moses (1888-1981) used the 1939-40 and 1964-65 World's Fairs, which were held on the meadows, to rehabilitate the area. The Flushing Bay Promenade, a project planned back in the 1980s, is one of the most important additions to the park since the Moses era.
At a time when New York City is reclaiming its waterfront, the promenade dramatically
improves access to Flushing Bay. It is the longest project ever undertaken in
Queens by Parks & Recreation. The promenade stretches 1.4 miles, from the
base of the 27th Avenue overpass to the west to the new $1.6 million boat ramp
to the east.
The Flushing Bay Promenade is bounded by 1.45 miles of railing, and pedestrians
can refresh themselves at one of 17 drinking fountains or rest on the World's
Fair benches - the promenade contains 1,237 linear feet of benches. Nearly six
acres of new sod were laid, along with 1,037 new trees and 10,944 new shrubs
for shade and greenery. 574,264 square feet - 13.16 acres - of new pedestrian
and vehicular pavements were installed, and the promenade is made more attractive
by granite hex block pavers - approximately 365,820 of them, all set by hand.
The promenade was constructed at a cost of $14.8 million, funded by the Department
of Environmental Protection. DEP provided the monies in exchange for Parks allowing
the construction of a new sewer overflow tank in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park.
The tank, which is scheduled for completion in 2002, will prevent flooding in
the area and stop sewer runoff into Flushing River and Flushing Bay.
Aside from its sheer size, the promenade is graced with a number of artistic
flourishes. Seven overlooks provide vantage points over Flushing Bay, and they
are each marked with eight graphic panels designed by artist Gregg LeFevre.
The panels depict one plant and one animal species for each letter of the alphabet,
for a total of 52, with an additional panel at the start and end of the promenade.
At the eastern end of the promenade, near the World's Fair Marina's Pier One,
artist Jackie Ferrara has enhanced the soaring white shade structures - known
as Candela structures for the artist Felix Candela (1910-19__) who designed
them for the 1964-65 World's Fair - with a complementary abstract geometric
paving pattern. Ferrara's design also includes special benches, an in the artist's
words, the project as a whole is meant to "be a part of, include, and interface
with the site . . . reflect the topography, the functions, and the history of
the area . . . and pay homage to the memory of the World's Fairs.
The Flushing Bay Promenade is a long-awaited improvement of FMCP. It provides
visual access to the bay, and will have a salutary effect on the relationship
of residents of Queens and visitors alike to a historic part of the waterfront.
Directions to Flushing Meadows Corona Park
Flushing Meadows Corona Park Weather
- NYC PARKS CELEBRATES NEWLY RESTORED SUSTAINABLE LANDSCAPE AROUND MEADOW LAKE IN FLUSHING MEADOWS CORONA PARK
- NYC Parks and AT&T Expand Free Public Wi-Fi and Solar Mobile Charging in Parks and at Beaches Citywide
- Commissioner Silver Thanks You All
- Winter Wildlife Viewing
- Adaptive Sports Carnival
- Wheelchair Basketball Open Gym hosted by the Brooklyn Nets Wheelchair Basketball Team
- Winter Wonderland
- Arts, Culture & Fun: Meet the Patels Screening
- Barbecuing Areas
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Football Fields
- Golf Courses
- Handball Courts
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Indoor Pools
- Kayak/Canoe Launch Sites
- Model Aircraft Fields
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Skate Parks
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums