Flushing World War Memorial
Click image for larger view
- Location: 149th Street and Bayside Avenue
- Description: Stele and exedra with plaque
- Materials: Granite, bronze
- Dimensions: Stele and exedra H: 15' W: 27' D: 11'; Plaque H: 3'6" W: 2'4"
- Cast: ca. 1935
- Dedicated: 1935
- Foundry: John Polachek Bronze and Iron Company
- Fabricator: Modern Art Foundry (replacement plaque)
- Inscription: Stele:
IN MEMORIAM /---/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO / MAN THAN THIS THAT / A MAN LAY DOWN HIS / LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS / ST. JOHN XV, 13 /
MEMORIAL / FIELD /---/ 1917 --- THE WORLD WAR --- 1918 /---/ DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF / FLUSHING'S HEROIC DEAD / [70 names] /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143