55 Ave., Jay Ave., 65 Pl.
Directions via Google Maps
This triangle’s name was inspired by the adjacent Hamilton Place, named for the American Revolution era patriot Alexander Hamilton (1755-1804), and the Federalist movement of which he was a participant.
Born on the island of Nevis in the British West Indies, Hamilton moved to New York City in 1772 and attended King’s College (now Columbia University). With the outbreak of the Revolutionary War in 1776, Hamilton volunteered for service in a New York artillery company. A year later, General George Washington (1732-1799), made Hamilton his aide and secretary. In 1780, Hamilton cemented his rising position by marrying Elizabeth Schuyler (1757-1854), a member of one of New York’s most prominent families. Two years later, he was admitted to the New York State Bar, and was selected as a delegate to the Continental Congress.