Father Giorgio Triangle
View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
Father Giorgio Memorial
This bronze portrait plaque set in a granite stele honors Father Edward J. Giorgio (1909-1946). Ordained in 1935, Father Giorgio was the cherished pastor and spiritual leader of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church on North 8th Street from 1935 until 1943. He is remembered today for his work with the youth of Williamsburg, successfully encouraging many of them to attend Mass weekly and join the award-winning Mt. Carmel Cadet Corps, a marching band which he founded shortly after his arrival.
Father Giorgio was drafted as a chaplain into the United States Army in 1943, and served until 1946. While in Europe, he sustained an injury to his leg that required amputation. After returning home to his parish, Father Giorgio died of blood poisoning at Ft. Hamilton Army Hospital on January 13, 1946.
Three months after Father Giorgio’s death in 1946, the Catholic War Veterans of America formed the Father Edward J. Giorgio Post No. 689 on Lorimer Street. In 1951 the organization commissioned the relief medallion by Italian-born artist A.S. Cianfarani (1895–1960). In 1953, the triangle was named for Father Giorgio and the monument was dedicated at the site in 1954.
Father Giorgio Memorial Details
- Location: Lorimer Street, Jackson and Meeker Avenues
- Sculptor: A.S. Cianfarani
- Description: Stele with portrait plaque
- Materials: Granite, bronze
- Dedicated: June 13, 1954
- Donor: Catholic War Veterans
- Inscription: Plaque: IN MEMORY OF / OUR STANDARD BEARER / FATHER EDWARD J. GIORGIO / MARCH 23, 1909 - JANUARY 13, 1946 /---/ BELOVED PRIEST OF / OUR LADY OF MT. CARMEL CHURCH / CHAPLAIN, U.S. ARMY /---/ HIS GREATEST LOVE WAS GOD, / HIS GREATEST DEVOTION, HUMANITY / HIS GREATEST HERITAGE / A LIVING INSPIRATION TO ALL. /---/ DEDICATED JUNE 13, 1954 BY FATHER EDWARD J. GIORGIO POST NO. 689 / CATHOLIC WAR VETERANS OF AMERICA /