John V. Lindsay East River Park
Designated Barbecuing Areas
Please be cautious when barbecuing and keep a safe distance from patrons, children, and trees. Be courteous to others and please clean the area carefully before you leave. Events involving more than 20 people require a special events permit.
Our rules prohibit:
- Littering and dumping of debris
- Barbecuing in non-authorized areas
- Barbecuing next to trees, tree roots, or buildings. Please keep ten feet or more away from any structures.
- Any type of open, ground, or camp fire. Please barbecue at least three feet off the ground.
- Barbecuing by anyone 18 years or younger
All coal and matches must be disposed of in designated red barrels. Please do not place anything flammable in a regular litter barrel. Use water to extinguish hot coals. Improperly dumped coals or matches can do major damage to our parks.
List of Barbecuing Areas
|East River Park*||Along FDR Drive at East 10th Street|
*Special events permit required
Directions to John V. Lindsay East River Park
Know Before You Go
The section of East River Park south of Stanton Street is temporarily closed due to construction as part of the East Side Coastal Resiliency Project, which will protect Lower East Side residents and waterfront parks from coastal storms and sea level rise. East River Park remains open north of Stanton Street. For access to open park areas, use entrances at E. Houston Street, 6th St Bridge, or 10th St Bridge. For more information on construction progress, when this section of the park will re-open, please visit the Department of Design and Construction’s City’s East Side Coastal Resiliency Project Updates page. If you are looking for places to play and relax nearby, please visit our Neighborhood Recreational Resources page.
- New York Junior League Pitches In On New Improvements To East River Park
- 20,000 Trees Planted in New York City on Hands On New York Day
- Mayor Bloomberg & City Parks Foundation Announce New Catalyst Parks That Will Receive Targeted Influx Of Public And Private Investment