This playground, bounded by 25th Avenue, 98th Street, and 100th Street, stands in East Elmhurst, an historic neighborhood in northwestern Queens. Elmhurst was established in 1652 as Newtown, and originally covered the entire northwestern portion of Queens. The neighborhood was developed in the early 1890s, and renamed in 1896 by Cord Meyer, the owner of the Cord Meyer Development Company. Meyer hoped that the new name, Elmhurst, meaning “grove of elms,” would dissociate the neighborhood from Newtown Creek, a foul-smelling tributary of the East River that runs inland for three miles and serves as the boundary between Brooklyn and Queens.
Directions to East Elmhurst Playground
- East Elmhurst Dog Run Reconstruction
- East Elmhurst Playground Reconstruction
- Queens General Comfort Station and Facility Reconstruction (QG-1613MA)
East Elmhurst Playground Weather