E.M.T. Christopher J. Prescott Playground
Edith Ave. at Irvington St.
Directions via Google Maps
This playground was renamed in 1997 in honor of Christopher J. Prescott (1972-1994), a Staten Island native who was the first New York City EMS worker to be killed in the line of duty.
The site was formerly known as Huguenot playground due to its location off Huguenot Avenue within the neighborhood of the same name. The Huguenots were a Protestant minority who fled religious repression in France for the promise of greater freedom in the new world. A small group of Huguenot and Dutch Walloon families made Staten Island’s first settlement in 1661, at Oude Dorp (later called Dover or Old Town), just south of the Narrows near South Beach. The neighborhood emerged two centuries later as one of many hamlets that developed near depots of the railroad, which opened in 1860.