Duane Park, located at Hudson and Duane Streets in Manhattan, was the first public space acquired by the City specifically for use as a public park. This park and the adjacent street take the name of James Duane (1733-1797), New York’s first mayor after the Revolutionary War.
Born in New York City and admitted to the bar in 1754, Duane went on to serve as New York attorney general in 1767 and in the Continental Congress from 1774 to 1784. Despite having initial reservations about his country’s independence, he later supported the Declaration of Independence and helped to draft the Articles of Confederation and the first New York State Constitution. He was a member of the New York State Senate, the first mayor of New York City (1784-1789), and he served as a U.S. District judge in New York.