Doughboy Park is bounded by Woodside Avenue, 52nd Street, and 39th Road in the Woodside section of Queens. The Town of Newtown acquired this land in 1893 as a play area for P.S. 11. It passed into the City’s ownership in 1898, when Newtown and other Queens municipalities merged with New York City. The land was eventually deemed too steep and overgrown for children’s use and was assigned to NYC Parks in 1957. The site was transformed from a children’s play area to a sitting area for adults, in keeping with the dignity of the park’s doughboy monument.