Crotona Parkway Malls
Crotona Pkwy bet. Bronx Park South and E 175 St
Directions via Google Maps
These malls are named after Crotona Park, the largest park in the southern portion of the Bronx, and the sixth largest park in the borough. The City of New York acquired the property for Crotona Park from Andrew Bathgate as part of the consolidation of the Bronx park system in 1888. Even before the City acquired the land, the Bathgate family allowed the public to picnic by their lake (now called Indian Lake). The park was to be named after the Bathgates until a Parks engineer had a spat with the family and instead named it Crotona, after Croton, a Greek colony known for its athletes. The name proved prescient, as the parks’ athletic facilities have played host to many future athletes, including baseball great Hank Greenberg. Croton is also the name of the old New York City aqueduct.