Conference House Tablet
Click image for larger view
- Location: Foot of Hylan Boulevard
- Description: Tablet on wall
- Materials: Bronze
- Dimensions: H: 1'2" W: 1'
- Dedicated: 1929
- Donor: Gift of the Richmond Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution
- Inscription: THE CONFERENCE HOUSE / LONG KNOWN AS / "THE BILLOPP HOUSE" / BUILT BEFORE 1700 / IN THIS HOUSE ON SEPTEMBER 11, 1776 / AFTER THE BATTLE OF LONG ISLAND / A PEACE CONFERENCE WAS HELD / BETWEEN LORD HOWE, BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, JOHN ADAMS, AND EDWARD RUTLEDGE. / ERECTED BY ABRAHAM COLE CHAPTER / RICHMOND COUNTY CHAPTER / STATEN ISLAND CHAPTER / DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION / MAY 25, 1929 /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143