Commodore John Barry
Click image for larger view
- Location: Park Avenue, Navy Street, and North Elliot Place, South of Flushing Avenue, northeast corner of fieldhouse
- Description: Inscribed stele with Celtic cross and US Navy seal at top and text below
- Materials: Barre granite
- Dimensions: H: 10" W: 30" D:18", 550 lbs.
- Dedicated: March 15, 1996
- Fabricator: Supreme Memorials, Inc.
- Donor: Commodore Barry Club
- Inscription: COMMODORE JOHN BARRY / FATHER OF THE AMERICAN NAVY / BORN Co. WEXFORD, IRELAND MARCH 15, 1745 / DIED PHILADELPHIA, PA. SEPTEMBER 13, 1803 / TO MARK THE 250TH ANNIVERSARY / OF HIS BIRTH MARCH 15, 1995 / GIFT OF THE COMMODORE BARRY CLUB OF BROOKLYN /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143