Back to Monuments List
Columbus Square Tablet
Click image for larger view
- Location: Astoria Boulevard, Hoyt Avenue and 31st Street
- Description: Circular tablet set in pavement
- Materials: Bronze
- Dimensions: Diameter: 24"
- Dedicated: October 12, 1937
- Donor: Italian Chamber of Commerce of Queens
- Inscription: BUT FOR COLUMBUS THERE WOULD BE NO AMERICA / PRESIDENT FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT /
ON THIS SITE / WILL BE ERECTED / A MONUMENT TO / CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS / THIS TABLET DEDICATED / ON OCTOBER 12, 1937 / BY THE ITALIAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE OF / THE BOROUGH OF QUEENS & ALLIED SOCIETIES /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143