Back to Monuments List
John Cashmore Marker
Click image for larger view
- Location: To the right of entrance to New York State Supreme Court Bldg., at Montague and Court Sts.
- Description: Ornamented stele with affixed ornaments on base
- Materials: Stele--black granite (polished); Base--limestone; Ornaments--bronze; Lettering--gilded
- Dimensions: H: 10' W: 6' D: 2'
- Cast: ca. 1965
- Dedicated: 1965
- Donor: Citizens of Brooklyn
- Inscription: 1) front: "JOHN CASHMORE /---/ 1895-1961 /---/ PRESIDENT OF THE BOROUGH / OF BROOKLYN FROM 1940 / UNTIL HIS DEATH / IT WAS DURING HIS LONG & / FRUITFUL ADMINISTRATION / THAT THE IDEA OF THIS / BROOKLYN CIVIC CENTER / WAS PLANNED & ACHIEVED /---/ THIS SPOT IS DEDICATED TO HIS MEMORY / BY HIS FELLOW CITIZENS / OF BROOKLYN"
2) rear: "JOHN CASHMORE / 1895-1961"
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143