Clove Lakes Park
View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
A Bird Named Goldilocks
This whimsical, intimate bronze sculpture was created by Staten Island artist Anne Marie McDonnell and installed in 1995. McDonnell received a BA in Fine Arts from the State University of New York at Stony Brook, and a Master of Fine Arts degree from Brooklyn College. In 1994, while an artist-in-residence at Snug Harbor Cultural Center, McDonnell modeled this sly homage to the classic children’s story, Goldilocks and the Three Bears. McDonnell was chosen as the artist for this commission through a panel competition sponsored by the Cultural Coalition of Staten Island.
A miniature vignette, in which a bird has happened upon the remains of a meal at a tiny table setting, is contained within the stump of a tree. The work intends to engage children in the playground where the artwork is situated in imaginative play.
A Bird Named Goldilocks Details
- Location: Adjacent to the Stonehenge administration building
- Sculptor: Ann Marie McDonnell
- Description: Hollowed out tree-stump form with a bird at a "fairy-sized table setting" in the hollow, placed at ground level, with information plaque in pavement in front of sculpture
- Materials: Bronze (brown patina)
- Dimensions: H: 20"; Overall circumference 38"; Interior depth 8" Plaque: 14" x 10"
- Cast: 1995
- Dedicated: October 30, 1995
- Foundry: Modern Art Foundry, Inc.
- Donor: The Cultural Coalition of Staten Island, public art works project
- Inscription: "A BIRD NAMED GOLDILOCKS" / ANN MARIE MCDONNELL / 1995 / RECIPIENT OF THE 1994 / PUBLIC ART WORKS AWARD / SPONSORED BY / THE COUNCIL ON THE ARTS AND HUMANITIES / FOR STATEN ISLAND AND / THE NEW YORK CITY DEPARTMENT OF PARKS /
Directions to Clove Lakes Park
- NYC PARKS CELEBRATES SPRING MIGRATION WITH NEW MUSIC PLAYLIST AND RANGER TOURS
- OFF TO THE RACES: NYC PARKS BREAKS GROUND ON CLOVE LAKES PARK 5K RUNNING TRAIL
- SPRING BREAK: NYC PARKS’ URBAN PARK RANGERS OFFER SCHOOL RECESS FUN FOR KIDS ACROSS THE CITY