Back to Monuments List
Lieutenant George W. Lener Memorial
Click image for larger view
- Location: northwest of intersection of Slosson and Martling Avenues, near Brookside Pond
- Sculptor: Scott LoBaido
- Description: Relief plaque mounted on boulder
- Materials: Bronze, granite
- Dimensions: boulder h 6' x w 4' x d 4' (all approximate)
- Cast: ca. 1995
- Dedicated: ca. 1995
- Donor: Friends of Lt. George W. Lener, Inc.
- Inscription: LT. GEORGE W. LENER, F.D.N.Y. / 1953-1994 / THIS MEMORIAL IS DEDICATED IN LOVING MEMORY OF LT. / GEORGE W. LENER, F.D.N.Y., A MAN WHOSE DEEDS AND / LOVE OF HIS COMMUNITY SET A STANDARD OF EXCELLENCE / FOR US ALL. / --- / MAY WE ALL ENJOY THE BEAUTY OF THIS PARK WITH OUR / FAMILY, FRIENDS AND COMMUNITY AS DID LT. LENER. / --- / "GEORGE LENER WAS A GIFT TO US ALL...HE WAS A HERO...HE / HAS LEFT US A LEGACY WE CANNOT REPAY, BUT WE CAN / ADVANCE IT AS WE CARRY ON HIS LOVE FOR THIS / COMMUNITY..." / MAYOR RUDOLPH GIULIANI / 7/25/94 /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143