Scholar and poet Clement Clarke Moore (1779-1863) is the namesake of two New York City parks. The first is a playground in Elmhurst, Queens, known as the Clement Clarke Moore Homestead. The second is this playground, located on a former farmstead purchased by Clement’s grandfather, Captain Thomas Clarke, in 1750. A retired British Army officer, Captain Clarke named his property “Chelsea” after London’s Royal Chelsea Hospital for veterans. His daughter and son-in-law extended the boundaries to what are now 19th Street, Eighth Avenue, 24th Street, and the Hudson River.