This park, located in the Queens neighborhood of Ridgewood, is named in honor of Carl E. Clemens (1908-1989), a community leader and former owner of the newspaper The Ridgewood Times.
Born in Connecticut, Clemens’s family moved to Ridgewood, Queens when he was young. Clemens’s parents died when he was a child, and he was raised by his aunt. His aunt, worried that Carl’s small frame would prevent him from succeeding in a more traditional venue, enrolled him in the Queensboro Business Institute to learn typing and bookkeeping. The school, located in the The Ridgewood Times building, had difficulty paying its rent, and to help his school, Clemens began volunteering for the newspaper at the age of 16. He proved himself invaluable to the paper, and was soon hired by George Schubel, the paper’s founder, as a writer and radio announcer.