Back to Monuments List
Civil Engineers Plaque
Click image for larger view
- Location: South of Chambers Street
- Architect: American Society of Civil Engineers and D. Levine of J.J. Kassmer Co.
- Description: Plaque on plinth
- Materials: Bronze, granite,
- Dimensions: H: 15 ¼" W: 24 ¼"
- Dedicated: May 1981
- Foundry: J.J. Kassmer and Company
- Donor: American Society of Civil Engineers
- Inscription: THE ROTUNDA / A SMALL DOMED ROMAN-STYLE BUILDING NAMED FOR THE ROTUNDA / STOOD ON THIS SITE, 1818-1870. IT WAS THE CITY'S FIRST ART / MUSEUM AND WAS ERECTED TO DISPLAY PANORAMAS PAINTED / BY THE ARTIST, JOHN VANDERLYN. AT TIMES THE STRUCTURE / HOUSED A POST OFFICE, COURTS AND VARIOUS CITY AGENCIES. / --- / ON NOVEMBER 5, 1852 IN THE OFFICES OF THE CROTON / AQUEDUCT DEPARTMENT, THE AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CIVIL / ENGINEERS WAS FOUNDED. THE SOCIETY IS THE OLDEST / NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF ENGINEERS IN THE UNITED STATES. / --- / THIS MARKER DONATED TO THE CITY OF NEW YORK BY THE SOCIETY MAY 1981. /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143