Back to Monuments List
Click image for larger view
- Location: Park Row, east of City Hall
- Description: Tablet on plinth
- Materials: Bronze, Barre granite
- Dimensions: Tablet H: 18" W: 20"; Plinth H: 20: W: 22"
- Dedicated: April 15, 1901
- Foundry: J. and R. Lamb, NY
- Donor: Mary Washington Colonial Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution
- Inscription: NEAR THIS SITE STOOD / THE PROVOST PRISON / WHERE PATRIOTS DIED FOR / THE CAUSE OF FREEDOM / 1776 ----- 1783 / --- / ERECTED BY / THE MARY WASHINGTON / COLONIAL CHAPTER / DAUGHTERS OF THE / AMERICAN REVOLUTION / APRIL 15, A.D. 1801
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143