View all monuments in NYC Parks, as well as temporary public art installations on our NYC Public Art Map and Guide.
Ephraim Elmer Ellsworth
- Location: Adjoining Sheridan Square, Christopher, Grove and West 4th Streets
- Description: Flagstaff, pedestal with tablet
- Materials: Bronze, concrete
- Dimensions: H: 4'6" W: 2'11" D: 2'11"
- Dedicated: 1936
- Donor: Purchase by NY State and NY City
- Inscription: THIS FLAGSTAFF / RAISED IN MEMORY OF THE / VALOROUS YOUNG PATRIOT, / EPHRAIM ELMER ELLSWORTH / BORN 1837 - DIED 1861 / AND HIS FIRE ZOUAVES WHOSE / MEMBERS ENLISTED IN 1861 FOR / MILITARY SERVICE IN THE WAR / BETWEEN THE STATES. / COL. ELLSWORTH WAS THE FIRST / MAN OF HIS RANK KILLED / --- / STAFF ERECTED BY GREENWICH VILLAGE / HISTORICAL SOCIETY; MARKER SUPPLIED BY / STATE OF NEW YORK AND CITY OF NEW YORK / JUNE 14, 1936 /