Winter Jam NYC Draws 25,000 People To Winter Sports FestivalWINTER JAM NYC DRAWS 25,000 PEOPLE TO WINTER SPORTS FESTIVAL
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
‘WINTER JAM NYC’ DRAWS 25,000 PEOPLE TO WINTER SPORTS FESTIVAL
On Saturday, New York City Department of Parks & Recreation Commissioner Veronica White joined Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA) President & CEO Ted Blazer, Olympic skier Ashley Caldwell, and professional snowboarder Ty Walker to welcome more than 25,000 visitors to Winter Jam NYC, Parks’ annual celebration of winter sports.
Seven snow machines were brought in from Gore Mountain to blanket 40,000 square feet of Central Park with snow. The event brought winter fun back to the heart of NYC with the Lake Placid snowfield for snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. All activities were free and winter sports equipment was provided free of charge.
Red Bull hosted the Red Bull MetroRail, an open snowboard and ski rail jam. Visitors took a break from the cold and enjoyed some apre-ski snacks in the Pride of New York Winter Market and the Unreal Candy Unjunked Ice Lounge.
This year, the first-time Doggie Snow Zone featured a snow park with agility equipment for pooches and an ‘Ask the Expert’ booth featuring canine behaviorists, celebrity dog groomer Jorge Bendersky, an expert nutritionist, and doggie treat bar.
Winter Jam NYC 2013 was presented by the NYC Department of Parks & Recreation, I Love NY, and Lake Placid, and sponsored by Red Bull, REI, Mountain Creek, Unreal Brands, Cabot Cheese, Unleashed by Petco, Radio Disney, L Magazine, and DNAinfo.
Directions to Central Park
- NYC PARKS’ POOLS AND BEACHES HIGHLIGHTED IN “SPF16: NYC POOLS AND BEACHES IN CONTEMPORARY PHOTOGRAPHY”
- NYC Parks Joins The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service In Celebrating The Centennial Of The Migratory Bird Treaty
- NYC Parks Joins The U.s. Fish & Wildlife Service In Celebrating The Centennial Of The Migratory Bird Treaty
- Exhibition - Zane York: Nature Morte
- Central Park Tour: Northern Forts
- Central Park Tour: Iconic Views of Central Park
- Central Park Tour: Legendary Landmarks
- Discovery Walks for Families: Beginning Birders
- Baseball Fields
- Basketball Courts
- Bicycling and Greenways
- Dog-friendly Areas
- Fitness Equipment
- Great Trees
- Handball Courts
- Historic Houses
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Nature Centers
- Outdoor Pools
- Paddleboat Rentals
- Recreation Centers
- Soccer Fields
- Spray Showers
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
- Wi-Fi Hot Spots
- Zoos and Aquariums